If one takes following steps to self realization diligently and sincerely, there is no reason one would not reach state of self realization in one’s lifetime.
1. The foremost of all requirements for realizing self is belief in God. Our belief in God should be 100%.
2. Furthermore we must also firmly believe in world of souls’ atmans, doctrine of reincarnation. Only then we can effectively understand how souls’ atmans manifested human form.
3. Our capability to practice truthfulness 100% is also an important ingredient in spiritual journey. Unless we were 100% truthful we could never hear promptings of Lord Krishna coming from within our heart. Allegorically Lord Krishna is soul atman existing in our heart.
4. We must be prepared to demolish our ego in totality. Demolition of ego in totality means working for welfare of mankind all the time. In absence of ego, the whole world becomes one large family for a seeker. One must also be prepared to break all bondages of earthly life. On spiritual journey comes a stage when we shall not be able to recognize our parents, brothers and sisters as our own. Family ties shall get demolished in totality.
5. For overpowering five senses and mind we have to minimize our desires and wishes in stages. This becomes possible when we change ourselves from materialistic to spiritual. The glitter of gold now becomes passé.
6. Indulging in spirituality we realize we are primarily a spirit, consciousness existing in our heart as soul atman. As a soul we could not purify self and need a medium, a human body to work out our karma, remove dross impurities within.
7. Recognizing importance of human body we start our indulgence in spirituality sincerely and effectively as detailed in Bhagavad Gita.
8. We are prepared to indulge in contemplation (chintan) to reach the hidden underlying meaning of sacred texts. This is necessitated to cut darkness of ignorance, dissolve varied queries within.
Zero queries within means reaching stage of Nirvikalpa samadhi (absolute nothingness) when not a single thought entered our brain uninvoked.
9. We must be prepared to indulge in absolute celibacy for a period of 12 years in continuation. Only then we can awaken kundalini shakti to its full capacity, state of Crown chakra.
Full awakening of kundalini shakti results in activation of brain to 100% capacity. One immediately becomes knower of all, a bodhi, a Jina… a Mahavira forever.
Full awakening of kundalini, full activation of brain means opening of Sahasra Pushpa (thousand petalled Lotus) existing in our brain behind forehead. One immediately becomes a self realized soul, a pure soul atman that has reached end of cosmic life, state of self realization.